Welcome to First Grade!
As this is my first year as a Harlem Heights Hawk, this school year will be an exciting journey for both the kids and myself! I am so incredibly excited to get to know my students and learn who they are, how they learn, and what their goals are for 1st grade. I will strive to meet each student where they are at, and help them reach their highest potential. My biggest goal for this year is to foster a safe and engaging environment for my students to learn and grow as independent thinkers. Throughout the year we will focus heavily on building confidence in our reading and math fluency. Through group lessons, focused small groups, and fun interactive activities we will cover the following topics (as well as some others):
- Identify and describe 2D and 3D shapes
- Addition and Subtraction within 20
- Simple fractions
- 1st Grade sight words
- Reading long vowel words
- Identifying first, middle, and last sounds
- Writing simple and compound sentences
- Using correct capitalization and punctuation
- Identifying components of a story
- Writing a short narrative
Our year will be full of lots of learning and it will require a lot of hard work. But I promise that more than any of that…it will be a TON of fun!
“Play is the highest form of research “ – Albert Einstein